Jackie’s home-made version
- In a bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar, mix together with spoon or whisk. Then add beaten eggs, milk and warm water.
- Mix well into loose/smooth dough, if you want to cut out squares, then add about two more cups of flour to make it a hard dough. I prefer the loose dough that pours into oil, it forms all kinds of shapes.
- If you interested in same shaped mandazi, roll out your dough onto the floured board, and cut out your desired shapes.
- Heat up the oil on medium heat, when it's hot, use a spoon or ice cream scoop to drop the dough into the frying pan, deep fry them, make sure that plate is not on high because your mandazi will burn and turn out black on one side, so i will say use medium heat.
- Keep turning them until they are brown on all sides.
- Enjoy! Made some last evening and am enjoying them while i write this recipe.
For the vegans, you may skip the milk and eggs, you still have a great version of the mandazi. Have a look at other mandazi recipes on this site.