Here is how to make Vita’s creamy sauce with mushrooms and beef, mutton or chicken/turkey breast.
For: 3 servings
- 500 grams meat ((could be boneless beef, mutton, pork or chicken/turkey breast))
- 250 grams button mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 big onions
- 200 grams crème fraîche ((see below regarding substitute))
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- black pepper ((about 2 tablespoons of oelek sambal used here))
- hot water ((about 150 - 200ml or a little more water used))
- salt to taste
- Cut the meat/chicken into thin pieces as shown in video
- In some very HOT oil, fry it for a couple of minutes like 8. If the oil is hot enough it will not allow "sauce" to form & gets cooked faster.
- In the meantime, chop the mushrooms & onions into slices
- To the meat, which should NOT be having any "soup", add the mushrooms & onions and continue frying on the hot flame for about, 6, 7 minutes until it appears ready. If all the oil gets "absorbed", you might need to add a tablespoon or 2. Try to keep this hot enough not to let soup form.
- Add crème fraîche and then different spices and pepper. You will note the crème fraîche makes some thick creamy sauce. Add some little hot water, mix well and let this start boiling.
- Reduce the heat, add salt to taste and cover the pan. Let this simmer on low heat for about 10 - 15 minutes
Serve hot with rice, matooke, potatoes, ugali (posho), …P.S.
If beef is used, bear in mind it takes more time to get cooked than chicken or pork and so this should be taken into account when frying. Regarding crème fraîche see this site http://foodandstyle.com/2010/09/23/homemade-creme-fraiche/ or “google” to see how to make a “crème fraîche replacement” or “crème fraîche substitute“, though I must say I have not used this yet. The substitute at the above link, though seems to suggest a quick-to-make replacement.