AllAfrica News: Latest All Africa, All the Time.
- South Africa: Miss South Africa Asks Men to Write Love Letters Against Violence on 13/11/2019 at 10:57
[allAfrica] Cape Town -It's not a secret that South Africa has seen high levels of violence against women across the country.
- Namibia: Political Parties Gobble Up Over U.S.$26,9 Million Since 2000 on 13/11/2019 at 09:47
[Namibian] The government forked out close to N$400 million from 2000 to 2016 to fund the operations of registered political parties represented in parliament.
- Zimbabwe: Country Risks Losing More Than 300 Doctors to the UK - Biti on 13/11/2019 at 09:09
[New Zimbabwe] Top MDC politician and MP, Tendai Biti has warned Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube the country risked losing more than 300 doctors to the United Kingdom if he failed to address their remuneration issues urgently.
- Kenya: Man Who Fell From Kenya Airways Plane Into a London Garden Identified on 13/11/2019 at 08:32
[Nation] The stowaway, who fell off a Kenya Airways plane moments before it landed at London's Heathrow Airport in June has been identified.
- Zimbabwe: Drought Threatens Livestock in Western Zimbabwe on 13/11/2019 at 07:57
[VOA] Drought is taking a toll on Zimbabwe's agricultural sector, with farmers in the western region losing their livestock at an alarming rate.
- Congo-Kinshasa: EU Approval of First Ebola Vaccine is Game Changer on 13/11/2019 at 07:38
[VOA] This week the European Commission gave approval to a Ebola vaccine -- an act that the World Health Organization calls landmark moment for global health and a likely game-changer in the battle against this deadly disease.
- Southern Africa: SADC Launches Agriculture Project in Botswana on 13/11/2019 at 07:37
[Botswana Daily News] Gaborone -The aim of the Southern African Development Cooperation (SADC) Regional Agricultural Policy Investment Plan (2017-2022) project launched in Gaborone November 12 is to promote collaborative actions at regional level, says Ministry of Agricultural Development and Food Security permanent secretary Mr Jimmy Opelo.
- Africa: 'Sexual and Reproductive Rights Are Not Up for Negotiation' on 13/11/2019 at 07:37
[allAfrica] Nairobi, Kenya -Natalia Kanem, executive director of UNFPA, had a strong statement at the opening of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD25) in Nairobi, Kenya, on November 12: "Reproductive and sexual health rights for women and girls are not up for negotiation, and we will protect and defend them".
- Tanzania: Girls Need Support, Not Threats, to Avoid Pregnancy on 13/11/2019 at 07:32
[The Conversation Africa] Teenage girls in Tanzania are routinely excluded from school if they become pregnant and are prevented from returning to complete their education. Yet a recent case in the Rukwa Region involving over 200 pregnant girls dropping out of school in six months, shows even this is not the worst outcome girls may face.
- Kenya: Treasury Seeks House Nod to Increase Budget on 13/11/2019 at 06:48
[Nation] Unpaid standard gauge railway (SGR) bills, universal healthcare plans and construction of Kenya's first double-decker road have forced the Treasury to review and increase the budget for the year starting July by Sh86 billion.
- Kenya: Independent Police Probe Juja Rogue Police, Identities Known on 13/11/2019 at 06:43
[Nation] The identities of all the 50 police officers deployed to quell a protest at the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (Jkuat) that ended up with students brutalised on Monday have been established.
- Kenya: Brigid Kosgei Shortlisted for IAAF Top Award on 13/11/2019 at 06:42
[Capital FM] Nairobi -Marathon world record holder Brigid Kosgei has been named in the shortlist of five who will vie for the 2019 IAAF world female athlete of the year in Monaco at the end of the month.
- Kenya: Silverstone Air Suspends All Flights After Dash 8 Fleet Grounded on 13/11/2019 at 06:42
[Capital FM] Nairobi -Local budget airline Silverstone Air Tuesday suspended all its flights after the regulator grounded its Dash 8 fleet for seven days pending a probe into incidents involving the aircraft.
- West Africa: President Invokes the Virgin Mary in Ecowas Power Duel on 13/11/2019 at 06:41
[East African] Guinea Bissau President José Mário Vaz remains defiant in the face of condemnation from the Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas) over his meddling in government that has caused a political crisis ahead of the country's presidential elections on November 24.
- South Africa: Refugee Sit-in - Demonstration Not Illegal, Say the Police on 13/11/2019 at 06:25
[News24Wire] The police believe refugees who are staging a protest outside the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees' (UNHCR) offices in Pretoria are exercising their constitutional rights and that the gathering is not illegal.
- Rwanda: Secondary School Candidates Begin National Examinations on 13/11/2019 at 06:17
[New Times] Some 171,123 students started the 2019 national examinations for Ordinary and Advanced levels of secondary schools on Tuesday.
- South Africa: Foreign Protesters Not Our Problem, Says Home Affairs on 13/11/2019 at 05:44
[Daily Maverick] As the sit-in of hundreds of foreign protesters outside the UNHCR offices in Pretoria enters its second month, the Department of Home Affairs appears to have washed its hands of the issue.
- Nigeria: APC State Chapter 'Suspends' Oshiomhole on 13/11/2019 at 05:31
[Premium Times] The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo State has "suspended" the national chairman of the party, Adams Oshiomhole.
- South Africa: Saldanha Steel Closure Signals Death of SA Industrial Dreams on 13/11/2019 at 05:28
[Daily Maverick] The closure of the Saldanha steel plant by ArcelorMittal SA has hit Kumba Iron Ore, which on Tuesday revised its 2019 sales guidance down slightly because of the loss of one of its clients. Expect more pain to follow as the domestic steel industry falters in the face of crippling power and other costs, putting paid to any dreams of industrialisation.
- South Africa: Court Dismisses Man's Appeal of Life Sentence for Raping Daughter Over 7 Years on 13/11/2019 at 05:26
[News24Wire] The Western Cape High Court has dismissed a West Coast man's appeal of his life sentence for raping his daughter countless times over a period of seven years.
- Nigeria: Nigerian State Pushes to Keep Pregnant Girls in School on 13/11/2019 at 05:25
[HRW] Tens of thousands of pregnant girls and adolescent mothers are banned or discouraged from attending school across Africa.
- Nigeria: Protesters March in Lagos, Demand Release of Sowore on 13/11/2019 at 05:12
[Premium Times] Dozens of protesters gathered in Lagos on Tuesday to demand the release of Omoyele Sowore, the publisher of Sahara Reporters.
- Africa: How Increased Energy Demand Can Grow Africa's Economy - Report on 13/11/2019 at 05:08
[Premium Times] The African economy has the potential to grow fourfold, with energy demands expanding by only 50 per cent, a new report by the International Energy Agency (IEA) said on Tuesday.
- Nigeria: Why Finance Bill 2019 Is Crucial to Nigeria's Economic Growth - Finance Minister on 13/11/2019 at 05:07
[Premium Times] The Finance Bill 2019 is crucial to the growth of the Nigerian economy as it would allow the government to realize its annual revenue projections and targets, Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, has said.
- Nigeria: Senate Report Blames NNPC for Pipeline Explosions That Killed 18 on 13/11/2019 at 05:07
[Premium Times] Two petroleum pipeline explosions that killed 18 people between June and July happened because the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation was "negligent", a Senate committee said Tuesday after investigating the blasts.
- Cameroon: France's Macron Urged to Take Action in Anglophone Crisis on 13/11/2019 at 04:53
[Deutsche Welle] A group of scholars and human rights advocates has used the launch of the Paris Peace Forum to pressure President Macron to use France's "considerable influence" to help bring Cameroon's ongoing conflict to an end.
- Kenya: Kenyatta Pledges to End FGM By 2022 - Ahead of Global Target on 13/11/2019 at 04:51
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Nairobi -Kenya's president on Tuesday promised to end female genital mutilation (FGM) by 2022, a goal women's rights campaigners said was unrealistic due to insecurity and high prevalence rates in some parts of the east African nation.
- Africa: $264 Billion Needed to Deliver Cairo Dream for Women and Girls on 13/11/2019 at 04:46
[IPS] Nairobi, Kenya -For each of the 830 women dying each day from pregnancy complications and childbirth, an estimated 20 others suffer serious injuries, infections or disabilities.
- Angola: President Lourenco Skips National Day to Meet the Pope on 13/11/2019 at 04:41
[East African] Angola President Joao Lourenco on Monday breached a global unwritten norm on national days when he skipped his country's independence day fete for a state visit to Italy and the Vatican.
- Africa: Can Leaders Put Free Trade Above Nationalism? on 13/11/2019 at 04:29
[ISS] The signing of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA) couldn't have come at a better time for the continent. Globally, the United Kingdom's exit from the European Union (EU) stumbles along with growing acrimony while United States (US) and Chinese policymakers struggle to find common ground, and common interest.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”16″ maximgwidth=”100″]