East Africa News aggregated from different sources, including Ugandan, Kenyan, Tanzanian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, South Sudanese, Rwandan, Burundi newspapers.
AllAfrica News: East Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Uganda: UPDF Creates Force to Protect Rwenzori Region on 13/11/2019 at 12:41
[Monitor] The Uganda Peoples' Defence Force (UPDF) has created a mountain Division to reinforce security in the Rwenzori region.
- Uganda: Security Personnel Monitoring South Sudan Refugees on 13/11/2019 at 12:41
[Independent (Kampala)] Kampala -South Sudan refugees being hosted in refugee settlement centres in Northern Uganda district of Lamwo are being closely monitored by security personnel.
- Rwanda: Protest Note - New Low in Uganda-Rwanda Relations on 13/11/2019 at 12:41
[Independent (Kampala)] Kampala -Uganda has conveyed to Rwanda her serious concern regarding an incident of murder of her nationals that occurred on Rwandan territory last week.
- Uganda: Civil Society Group Wants Clear Spending of Petroleum Fund Cash on 13/11/2019 at 12:41
[Independent (Kampala)] Kampala -As government and oil companies continue to negotiate on oil deals ahead of production, civil society organisations under their umbrella group, Civil Society Budget Advocacy Group (CSBAG) have come out to advise on how oil revenues should be used.
- Kenya: Kakamega Man Disputes News Report Identifying His Son As Stowaway Who Fell Off KQ Flight on 13/11/2019 at 12:41
[Capital FM] Nairobi -A man who appeared on a Sky News television report authenticating an e-fit image of a stowaway who fell off a Kenya Airways flight to London's Heathrow Airport on June 30 has now denied claims the 29-year-old man identified as Paul Manyasi is his son.
- Uganda: Child Activist Kenneth Akena's Family Losing Hope for Justice on 13/11/2019 at 12:41
[Independent (Kampala)] Gulu -The family of the late child activist Kenneth Akena Watmon is losing out hope for justice for their son after a negligible accident at Forest Mall in Kampala, three years ago.
- Uganda: Former Deputy Prime Minister Kajura Sued Over Sh600 Million on 13/11/2019 at 12:41
[Independent (Kampala)] Kampala -A couple has dragged former first Deputy Prime Minister Henry Kajura to court seeking a refund of 600 million shillings that was paid to him as part payment for land.
- Uganda: 800 Sign Petition to Drag President Museveni to Hague Court on 13/11/2019 at 12:41
[Independent (Kampala)] Kampala -Over 800 people have so far signed a petition to drag President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni to the International Criminal Court- ICC.
- Uganda: MP Achon to Run 500km From Entebbe to Otuke for Charity on 13/11/2019 at 12:41
[Monitor] Running for 500km over five days sounds like any normal person's idea of hell. But not Julius Achon.
- Uganda: Air Cargo Wants Shs37 Billion to Repair Grounded Aircraft on 13/11/2019 at 12:39
[Monitor] Uganda Air Cargo Corporation (UACC) has reminded Parliament that it requires $10 million (about Shs37 billion) to repair one of the two C-130 aircraft, which has been grounded since 2014.
- Somalia: Puntland Authorities Execute 5 Al-Shabaab Members on 13/11/2019 at 11:44
[Dalsan Radio] Somalia's northeastern state of Puntland executed five men believed to be members of al Shabaab and ISIS groups which are both active in the vast mountainous region. The five were executed in a public firing squad in the state.
- Kenya: Atheists and Religious Leaders Clash Over Abortion on 13/11/2019 at 11:00
[Nation] Atheists in Kenya president Harrison Mumia has criticised religious leaders over their stand on the ongoing 25th International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD25). Mr Mumia said the religious leaders' ideologies are retrogressive.
- Kenya: Police Service Attempts Reforms But Rights Abuses, Graft Claims Continue on 13/11/2019 at 10:26
[Nation] When he presented his last speech before leaving the National Police Service, former Inspector-General of Police Joseph Boinnet said he was satisfied with police reforms and that they were on an "upward trajectory"
- Sudan: Darfur Students Protest Lack of Transport on 13/11/2019 at 10:03
[Radio Dabanga] Nyala -On Monday, the students of the University of Nyala staged a protest rally in front of the government administration headquarters against the transportation crisis in the capital of South Darfur.
- Kenya: Senators - Kick Cartels Out of FKF on 13/11/2019 at 09:40
[Nation] Senators have raised the red flag over the impending elections for the national football governing body, demanding the process should be free, fair and free of corruption.
- Somalia: Farmers Set to Benefit From U.S.$10,000 UNDP Fund on 13/11/2019 at 09:01
[Dalsan Radio] Somalia and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) launched has a new US$10 million climate adaptation project to help rural communities secure access to diminishing water supplies. More than 360,000 farmers and pastoralists are set to benefit from sustainable water management, expanded drought and flood early-warning systems and more profitable livelihoods.
- Kenya: Man Who Fell From Kenya Airways Plane Into a London Garden Identified on 13/11/2019 at 08:32
[Nation] The stowaway, who fell off a Kenya Airways plane moments before it landed at London's Heathrow Airport in June has been identified.
- Sudan: Popular Congress Party - Sudan Must Ratify Rome Statute, Hand Al Bashir to ICC on 13/11/2019 at 08:15
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -The head of the Popular Congress Party (PCP) has urged Sudan's transitional government to ratify the Rome Statute and extradite deposed former president Omar Al Bashir to the International Criminal Court in The Hague, which has indicted him on charges of genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity.
- South Sudan: Germany Donates Millions to WFP for Flooding on 13/11/2019 at 07:36
[VOA] Germany has donated $10.9 million to the United Nations World Food Program (WFP) to provide food aid to communities hard hit by widespread flooding across South Sudan. A WFP official who just returned from Pibor said the flooding is a real emergency that requires an immediate response.
- Tanzania: Girls Need Support, Not Threats, to Avoid Pregnancy on 13/11/2019 at 07:32
[The Conversation Africa] Teenage girls in Tanzania are routinely excluded from school if they become pregnant and are prevented from returning to complete their education. Yet a recent case in the Rukwa Region involving over 200 pregnant girls dropping out of school in six months, shows even this is not the worst outcome girls may face.
- East Africa: Uganda Has Worst Roads in East Africa - Report on 13/11/2019 at 07:10
[Monitor] The Inspectorate of Vehicles has said Ugandan roads are the worst in East Africa in terms of carnage, killing at least 3,500 people per year.
- Uganda: Uganda Sends Protest Note to Rwanda Over Deadly Border Shooting on 13/11/2019 at 07:09
[Monitor] Government of Uganda on Tuesday wrote a note verbale to Rwanda after Rwandan soldiers shot and killed two Ugandan traders over allegations of smuggling.
- Rwanda: Sharapova Visits Rwanda on 13/11/2019 at 07:05
[New Times] MARIA Sharapova, a five-time grand slam winner and former world number 1, is on a visit to Rwanda, reportedly since Sunday.
- Kenya: Treasury Seeks House Nod to Increase Budget on 13/11/2019 at 06:48
[Nation] Unpaid standard gauge railway (SGR) bills, universal healthcare plans and construction of Kenya's first double-decker road have forced the Treasury to review and increase the budget for the year starting July by Sh86 billion.
- Kenya: Independent Police Probe Juja Rogue Police, Identities Known on 13/11/2019 at 06:43
[Nation] The identities of all the 50 police officers deployed to quell a protest at the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (Jkuat) that ended up with students brutalised on Monday have been established.
- Kenya: Brigid Kosgei Shortlisted for IAAF Top Award on 13/11/2019 at 06:42
[Capital FM] Nairobi -Marathon world record holder Brigid Kosgei has been named in the shortlist of five who will vie for the 2019 IAAF world female athlete of the year in Monaco at the end of the month.
- Kenya: Silverstone Air Suspends All Flights After Dash 8 Fleet Grounded on 13/11/2019 at 06:42
[Capital FM] Nairobi -Local budget airline Silverstone Air Tuesday suspended all its flights after the regulator grounded its Dash 8 fleet for seven days pending a probe into incidents involving the aircraft.
- Rwanda: Secondary School Candidates Begin National Examinations on 13/11/2019 at 06:17
[New Times] Some 171,123 students started the 2019 national examinations for Ordinary and Advanced levels of secondary schools on Tuesday.
- Kenya: Kenyatta Pledges to End FGM By 2022 - Ahead of Global Target on 13/11/2019 at 04:51
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Nairobi -Kenya's president on Tuesday promised to end female genital mutilation (FGM) by 2022, a goal women's rights campaigners said was unrealistic due to insecurity and high prevalence rates in some parts of the east African nation.
- Kenya: CBK Regains Control of Monetary Policy After Uhuru Signs Repeal of Interest Law on 12/11/2019 at 13:38
[East African] The repeal of interest rate caps has restored the Central Bank of Kenya's control over monetary policy, ending nearly three years of a lame duck regulator.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”8″ maximgwidth=”100″]