Southern African News aggregated from diverse sources, including Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Swaziland, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa & other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: Southern Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- South Africa: Angélique Kidjo, Burna Boy and Trevor Noah Get Grammy Nod for 2020 on 21/11/2019 at 05:06
[Citizen] Africa is heavily represented for the 2020 Grammy Awards as Angélique Kidjo, Burna Boy & Trevor Noah have been nominated for famous show.
- Zimbabwe: Homes, Land Destroyed As Desperate People Turn to Illegal Gold Mining on 21/11/2019 at 04:35
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Filabusi, Zimbabwe -With Zimbabwe going through its worst economic crisis in a decade, desperate citizens are turning to illegal gold mining to make a living, officials say, sparking violence and driving people from their land
- South Africa: Graça Machel Trust Launches the Women Creating Wealth programme in South Africa on 20/11/2019 at 14:12
[GraÃ§a Machel Trust] The Graça Machel Trust, is bringing the Women Creating Wealth Entrepreneurship Development Programme to South Africa. Women Creating Wealth is a Pan-African initiative that has significantly grown the businesses and positively impacted the entrepreneurial behaviours, skills, and confidence of women entrepreneurs.
- Swaziland: Eswatini Students Stand Up to Failing Institutes on 20/11/2019 at 14:04
[New Frame] Students at the Southern Africa Nazarene University are the latest to protest against inadequate government funding and poor faculty and facilities. The police reacted with live ammunition.
- South Africa: Africa Unite Concert Cancelled After Outcry Over Burna Boy on 20/11/2019 at 12:37
[allAfrica] Cape Town -All those who were looking forward to see Burna Boy perform in Mzansi are left with a heavy heart.
- Zimbabwe: Invest in Citizens' Health, Not Military, Govt Told on 20/11/2019 at 10:21
[New Zimbabwe] Mutare -African countries should shift from a culture of investing heavily on military and give priority to health of citizens, an economist said.
- Zimbabwe: 'Mnangagwa Should Have Fired All Security Chiefs After Rally Bombing' on 20/11/2019 at 10:08
[New Zimbabwe] President Emmerson Mnangagwa should have cleared out the hierarchy of the country's security establishment following the White City bombing that nearly claimed the life of the national leader, a month before last year's elections.
- Zimbabwe: 'Only Zimbabweans Can Solve Their Economic, Political Challenges' on 20/11/2019 at 09:59
[New Zimbabwe] While South Africa and other countries in the region are ready to help, only Zimbabweans have the solutions to the country's problems, a Cabinet Minister in President Cyril Ramaphosa's government has said.
- Namibia: Cops Seize Marijuana Worth U.S.$433,000 on 20/11/2019 at 09:55
[New Era] Windhoek -A driver and co-worker were arrested after being found in possession of cannabis worth N$6.4 million on Saturday morning on the B3 road to Grunau.
- Zimbabwe: Govt Engages China On Budget Figures on 20/11/2019 at 09:29
[The Herald] Government will engage the Chinese Embassy in Harare to establish a common accounting position on how much Harare received from Beijing as development partner support for 2019.
- Zimbabwe: Home Delivered Babies in Birth Registration Dilemma on 20/11/2019 at 09:29
[The Herald] Ms Esther Zinyoro of Mbare, Harare, also known as Mbuya Gwena, has become an overnight sensation due to the assistance she has been rendering to expecting mothers, most of whom were stranded after council nurses went on strike citing incapacitation.
- Zimbabwe: Meteorological Services Department Issues Storm Warning on 20/11/2019 at 09:29
[The Herald] Citizens have been urged to take precautionary measures against heavy rains, in excess of 50 millimetres in 24 hours coupled with hail, strong winds and lightning starting from today.
- Zimbabwe: Our Hands Are Clean - Ecobank on 20/11/2019 at 09:29
[The Herald] The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe's Financial Intelligence Unit is investigating the Ecobank Zimbabwe customer pictured with the $15 000 in new notes that he had withdrawn from the bank, to establish if the money was sold on the parallel market or paid to dairy farmers as he promised the bank he would do.
- Zimbabwe: Bako Dominates in Moto-X Race in South Africa on 20/11/2019 at 09:29
[The Herald] One of Zimbabwe's top junior motocross riders Emmanuel Bako continued with his winning ways on the South African circuit.
- Lesotho: Tempers Flare in Parliament After Chief Theko Attacks Thabane on 20/11/2019 at 09:19
[Lesotho Times] Tempers flared in parliament this week when outspoken Thaba-Bosiu Principal Chief, Khoabane Theko, accused Prime Minister Thomas Thabane and his coalition partners of prioritising their entertainment in lavish foreign trips instead of driving the crucial multi-sector reforms process which has hitherto proceeded at a snail's pace.
- Lesotho: Businessmen Want Fleet Tender Corruption Charges Dropped on 20/11/2019 at 09:15
[Lesotho Times] Two local businessmen, Teboho Tlokotsi and Tumo Ramonaheng, have filed a Constitutional Court application to stop their trial for corruption in connection with the government vehicle fleet tender. The Constitutional Court is expected to hear the duo's application today.
- Lesotho: Anti-Graft Body Investigates Former Bank Chief for Alleged Graft on 20/11/2019 at 09:14
[Lesotho Times] The Directorate on Corruption and Economic Offences (DCEO) is investigating former Standard Lesotho Bank (SLB) Chief Executive Officer, Mpho Vumbukani, for allegedly breaching the bank's procurement policies in connection with his purchase of a house from the bank.
- Lesotho: Opposition MPs Reject Salary Increments on 20/11/2019 at 09:12
[Lesotho Times] Opposition legislators have refused to adopt a parliamentary report recommending salary increments for members of parliament and officials in charge of the parastatals.
- Lesotho: Military in Weapons Storm on 20/11/2019 at 08:59
[Lesotho Times] The Lesotho Defence Force (LDF) is facilitating the acquisition of weapons by its soldiers for their private ownership.
- South Africa: Authority Ready to Prosecute Culprits in Controversial Dairy Farm Project - Reports on 20/11/2019 at 08:57
[News24Wire] The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) is ready to prosecute those implicated in the controversial Gupta-linked Estina dairy farm project, according to media reports.
- Lesotho: Military Paid U.S.$678 to Gag Shooting Victim's Family on 20/11/2019 at 08:53
[Lesotho Times] The Lesotho Defence Force (LDF) paid M10 000 to the family of Lisebo Tang, who was gunned by soldiers guarding the Ha-Leqele residence of then army commander, Tlali Kamoli, on 9 May 2014.
- Zimbabwe: Electoral Commission Calls for Input On Strategic Plan on 20/11/2019 at 08:36
[The Herald] THE Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) wants objective reviews from seconded staff, political players, civic society organisations and election observers who participated in last year's harmonised elections on how the election was managed and to capture the aspirations of all Zimbabweans on how they would like to see election management in the future, ZEC chairperson Justice Priscilla Chigumba has said.
- South Africa: Girl, 13, Arrested for Allegedly Bludgeoning Grandmother to Death on 20/11/2019 at 08:29
[News24Wire] A 13-year-old girl has been arrested for the murder of her 63-year-old grandmother, who was found bludgeoned to death in her home in Jan Roz Crescent in Fairbreeze, Tongaat, north of Durban, on Monday.
- Zimbabwe: Govt, Rwanda to Strengthen Ties on 20/11/2019 at 08:15
[The Herald] Zimbabwe and Rwanda are working on strengthening their ties within the context of the Joint Permanent Commission of Co-operation.
- Zimbabwe: Trial Date Set For Former Health Minister Parirenyatwa on 20/11/2019 at 07:29
[The Herald] The trial of former Health and Child Care Minister David Parirenyatwa on charges of criminal abuse of office will resume on December 2 after the State yesterday indicated that it was now ready to proceed with the trial.
- South Africa: Research Finds South African Men Spend Childcare Grants Wisely on 20/11/2019 at 07:28
[The Conversation Africa] As is true in other countries, the makeup of South Africa's families is diverse. The "nuclear" family (two biological parents and their children) has become an outdated framework in which to view the composition of households.
- South Africa: EFF's Malema, Ndlozi to Appear in Court for Allegedly Assaulting Cop on 20/11/2019 at 07:25
[News24Wire] EFF leader Julius Malema and party spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi will appear in the Randburg Magistrate's Court on Wednesday on charges of assault relating to a 2018 incident, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said on Tuesday.
- Namibia: Robbery Attack Claims Life on 20/11/2019 at 07:20
[New Era] Walvis Bay -A 28-year-old man from Swakopmund died early Saturday morning after he was robbed and attacked by a group of men at the town.
- South Africa: Disputed Funeral Claim - Family Bring Corpse to Insurer's Office on 20/11/2019 at 06:48
[allAfrica] Cape Town -A South African family brought a corpse to the office of insurer Old Mutual, eNCA reports.
- Southern Africa: South Africa Stands in Solidarity With Zimbabwe - International Relations Minister on 20/11/2019 at 05:49
[News24Wire] South Africa "unequivocally stand in solidarity" with Zimbabwe, despite alleged human rights abuses.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”11″ maximgwidth=”100″]