West African News Headlines aggregated from diverse sources, including Nigerian, Ghanian, Ivory Coast, Burkina Farso, Guinean, Liberian, Niger, Gambian, Senegalese, Benin, Togolese and other regional newspapers.
AllAfrica News: West Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Nigeria: 4.7 Million Nigerians Practice Open Defecation - Govt on 21/11/2019 at 05:50
[Vanguard] The Federal Government, Tuesday, vowed to frontally confront sanitation challenges facing the nation, noting that a situation where over 4. 7 million Nigerians live without improved toilet and still practice open defecation was unacceptable.
- Nigeria: Constituency Projects - Buhari's Comment Erroneous - Senator on 21/11/2019 at 05:30
[Premium Times] The Senate Minority Leader, Enyinnaya Abaribe, has said President Muhammadu Buhari's comments on constituency projects are erroneous.
- Nigeria: Rep Wants Donor Agencies to Publish What They Fund on 21/11/2019 at 05:29
[Premium Times] Foreign donor agencies providing aid and financial assistance to Nigeria for the execution of various development projects should publish details of such funding, the Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Legislative Budget and Research, Mike Etaba, has said.
- Nigeria: PDP Senators Reject Bayelsa, Kogi Governorship Election Results on 21/11/2019 at 05:29
[Premium Times] The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) caucus in the Senate, on Wednesday rejected the Bayelsa and Kogi governorship election results announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
- Nigeria: Babcock University Speaks On Viral Sex Video of Former Students on 21/11/2019 at 05:28
[Premium Times] Babcock University has described a circulating sex video of its former students as a blessing in disguise for the institution.
- Nigeria: Sagay Wants Magu Appointed As Substantive EFCC Chairman on 21/11/2019 at 05:28
[Premium Times] The Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) has made a case for the appointment of the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, as the substantive chairman of the commission.
- Nigeria: Gunmen Abduct Police DPO on 21/11/2019 at 05:27
[Premium Times] Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted the divisional police officer (DPO) for Mubi North Local Government Area in northern Adamawa State, security sources have said.
- Nigeria: Copyright Infringement - Danny Young, Tiwa Savage Settle Out of Court on 21/11/2019 at 05:26
[Premium Times] A singer, Danny Young, has reached an out-of-court settlement with Tiwa Savage, whom he filed a N205 million copyright suit against over her song, 'One.'
- Nigeria: Reps Want 'Indiscriminate Erection' of Speed Bumps On Federal Roads Checked on 21/11/2019 at 05:26
[Premium Times] The House of Representatives on Wednesday urged the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing to develop guidelines to check the indiscriminate erection of speed bumps on federal highways.
- Nigeria: World Children's Day - Unicef Urges Nigeria to Prioritize Child Education on 21/11/2019 at 05:26
[Premium Times] As Nigeria joins the world to commemorate the 2019 International World Children's Day, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has urged the Nigerian government, non-governmental organisations, policymakers, and individuals to give priority to the education of every child.
- Nigeria: Burna Boy Nominated for Grammy Awards on 21/11/2019 at 05:25
[Premium Times] Nigerian musician, Burna Boy, has made the nomination list of the 2020 edition of the Grammy Awards.
- Nigeria: Amnesty International Declares Sowore, Bakare, Jalingo Prisoners of Conscience on 21/11/2019 at 05:25
[Premium Times] Amnesty International has declared three detained Nigerian activists and journalists as prisoners of conscience.
- Africa: Two Nigerian Innovators Shortlisted for Africa Prize on 21/11/2019 at 05:24
[Premium Times] Two Nigerian innovators have been shortlisted for the 2020 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation, run by the UK's Royal Academy of Engineering, which recognizes ambitious African innovators who are developing scalable engineering solutions to local challenges. The 16-strong shortlist was announced today in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Nigeria: Dino Melaye Calls for Cancellation of Kogi West Election on 21/11/2019 at 05:24
[Premium Times] The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate for Kogi West Senatorial poll, Dino Melaye, has called for total cancellation of the November 16 election.
- Nigeria: Buhari Musn't Be Allowed to Get Away With Ignoring Nigerian Courts on 21/11/2019 at 05:23
[Premium Times] If Mr. Buhari is truly committed to fighting corruption and protecting individuals against unlawful action by his government, security agents (or other public bodies) and private actors, he must immediately begin to obey all court orders, respect human rights. He must ask recalcitrant state governors and the National Assembly to comply with Nigeria's constitution...
- Nigeria: 13,423 Nigerian Students Contributed $514 Million to U.S. Economy in 2018 - Report on 21/11/2019 at 05:23
[Premium Times] At least 13,423 Nigerians currently studying in the U.S. contributed 514 million dollars to the U.S. economy in 2018, according to official data.
- Nigeria: Buhari Signs Executive Order to Tackle Open Defecation on 21/11/2019 at 05:23
[Premium Times] President Muhammadu Buhari Buhari Wednesday signed Executive Order 009 which is titled 'The Open Defecation-Free Nigeria by 2025 and Other Related Matters Order.'
- Nigeria: Nigerian Youths Demand Improved Healthcare, Education From Govt on 21/11/2019 at 05:15
[This Day] As Nigerians join the rest of the world to mark the Child Right's Convention (CRC) @30, young persons have demanded from the federal government, improved healthcare and quality education.
- Nigeria: Govt Launches Campaign to End Open Defecation by 2025 on 21/11/2019 at 05:14
[This Day] In commemoration of the 2019 World Toilet Day and as part of efforts towards achieving the national target of ending open defecation in the country by 2025, the Nigerian government, in partnership with Harpic has launched the 'Clean Nigeria: Use the Toilet' campaign.
- Nigeria: Canadian Govt Demonstrates Commitment to Fight Polio in Nigeria on 21/11/2019 at 05:12
[This Day] To further demonstrate commitment of Canadian government to the fight against polio virus and strengthen routine immunisation (RI), the Director General West and Central African Bureau, Global Affairs Canada, Mr Tarik Khan, joined the Niger State Primary Healthcare Development Agency (SPHCDA) and WHO staff during the polio house-to-house vaccination exercise recently.
- Africa: Angelique Kidjo, Burna Boy and Trevor Noah Get Grammy Nod for 2020 on 21/11/2019 at 05:06
[Citizen] Africa is heavily represented for the 2020 Grammy Awards as Angélique Kidjo, Burna Boy & Trevor Noah have been nominated for famous show.
- Nigeria: Patoranking, Banky W, Others Celebrate Burna Boy's Grammys' Nomination on 21/11/2019 at 05:04
[Vanguard] Success surely has so many friends; Burna boy, Nigeria's rave of the moment seems to be experiencing just that at the moment, as a lot of fans and celebrities alike, celebrate him on his Grammy award nomination.
- West Africa: G5 Force Too Small to Curb Militancy in Sahel - Expert on 21/11/2019 at 04:56
[Deutsche Welle] The killing of 24 soldiers by Islamist militants in Mali has called to questioning the strength of the G5 Sahel troops. Paul Melly of Chatham House says they are insufficient to curb militancy in the region.
- Ghana: Ayensuano Assembly Gives Items to Health Facilities in the District on 20/11/2019 at 14:35
[Ghanaian Times] The Ayensuano District Assembly in the Eastern Region has donated some items to various health facilities in the district to help them deliver quality healthcare to the people.
- West Africa: 'Three-Country Crisis' Across Central Sahel Puts Whole Generation At Risk, Warns UN Food Agency on 20/11/2019 at 13:45
[UN News] Violent attacks by extremists "almost every day" in the Sahel nations of Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso have displaced nearly one million people and caused emergency levels of malnutrition, UN humanitarians have said.
- South Africa: Africa Unite Concert Cancelled After Outcry Over Burna Boy on 20/11/2019 at 12:37
[allAfrica] Cape Town -All those who were looking forward to see Burna Boy perform in Mzansi are left with a heavy heart.
- Nigeria: Why Nigeria Needs to Review Its Criminal, Penal Codes on 20/11/2019 at 10:32
[Premium Times] One early morning in November 2013, Adepoju Jamiu woke up to observe the first of the five Islamic daily prayers at Okela, a community in Ondo State.
- Central Africa: Sahel Crisis Escalates as World Looks Away on 20/11/2019 at 07:51
[VOA] The World Food Organization warns the humanitarian crisis in Africa's Sahel region is growing, while the world pays scant attention to this unfolding tragedy.
- Ghana: Innovation and Startup Culture Thriving on 20/11/2019 at 07:47
[VOA] Ghana is regarded as a West African hub of invention, with growing numbers of young people looking at local solutions to local problems. In December, Ghana is hosting two conferences on innovation and technology.
- Nigeria: Authorities Launch Campaign Against Open Defecation on 20/11/2019 at 07:17
[VOA] Baba Awolu reports for work at 5 a.m. each day at a local toilet and washroom facility he owns in the Jahi district of Abuja. The facility, known in the native Hausa language as "Gidan Wanka," was built to serve poor people without access to bathrooms.
[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”9″ maximgwidth=”100″]